We serve the community as a resource in aquatic education and water safety through student-centered swim instruction. Children between the ages of 6 months and 12 years old learn and practice new swim skills that last a lifetime. Swimmers in our program become more comfortable and secure around water as we emphasize water safety and stroke development.
All swim lessons are 30 minutes in length with several options in suit your needs. We also offer classes during the weekday as well as Saturday and special holiday group swim lesson options.
- Class times/days vary by month. Please see Group Registration Form for details on days/times.
- Registration deadline is the 25th of the previous month and lessons begin on the first Monday of the next month.
Register in-house at the YMCA of Abilene
Types of Classes:
Swim Starters: Parent Child (6 months - 3 years) Accompained by a parent, infants and toddlers learn to be comfortable in the water and develop swim readiness skills through fun and confidence - building experiences, while parents learn about water safety drowning prevention, and the importance of supervision.
A. Water Discovery B. Water Exploration
Swim Basics (3 years - 12 years) Students learn personal water safety and achieve basic swimming competency by learning two benchmark skills:
- Swim, float, swim - sequencing front glide, roll, back float, roll, front glide, and exit
- Jump, push, turn, grab
1. Water Acclimation and Movement 2. Water Movement and Stamina
- Levels 3-6 are taught through Private/Buddy Lessons only
- All age groups are taught the same skills but divided according to their developmental milestones.
- At the Y, we know families take a variety of forms. As a result, we define parent broadly to include all adults with primary responsibility for raising children, including biological parents, adoptive parents, guardians, stepparents, gransparents, or any other type of parenting relationship.
For more questions, please contact Redbud YMCA 325-695-3400.